Friday, December 29, 2006

The End of Winter Break


Even though I was working during winter break, I still managed to enjoy my time off. I still pursued some of my hobbies, get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, catch up with friends/ family, shop, see the ballet, and gorge on home cooked meals complimented with holiday desserts. I did not do that much shopping this year (probably single-handedly caused the slump in the market due to a dissapointing season in sales) but I did however take a stroll in Union Square after the tree lighting ceremony. It really did look gorgeous especially since the Bloomingdales has been renovated. We are returning to school on wednesday which means that I need to get my "back to school" tasks done. Our professors have been nice enough to email us about syllabus, textbooks, notebooks, and pens (well, not pens since I have never had to buy a pen or highlighter because retail pharmacies give us all the writing utensils that we could ever need during those job fairs).
Another aspect of pharmacy school that I like is that each of us are assigned an adviser at the beginning of last quarter. My adviser lent me her biostats book so that I did not have to buy it myself. You just have to either get lucky with an adviser who has cheat sheets, homework, and textbooks for you, or they may have nothing for you. Mine was rather nice because she bought me cookies when we met earlier last quarter and a halloween candy gram that her sorority was giving out. Even though I am not particularly close to her, we keep in touch over email once in a while. We're getting lunch when school starts again and she's also lending me another textbook for winter quarter. I plan to do something nice for her for her advice and all.
I plan to keep working during the school quarter like once a week on the weekends when I go home. I can make enough to pay off my rent every month (yeah!). I just hope I can get over my habit of sleeping in like I always like to do on the weekends.
Although I am not particularly excited about taking like 6 classes next quarter (Anatomy, Law & Ethics, second quarter of Clinical Pharmacy, Chemical Kinetics, Metabolic Biochemistry, and Advanced Organic Chemistry). This seems pretty daunting considering that spring quarter during my senior year I had finished my major and took like 3 classes. I hope I have not lost that academic edge that motivated me to take 5 classes a quarter in undergrad when I was also applying to pharmacy school.
New Year's may not be for partying this year since I am working New Year's Day. Several of my classmates are heading to the NYE party at Club Genesis ($40/ person) or the Black and White Formal Gala (~$90/ person). Well, I can't complain about the overtime pay for working on a holiday though (cha-ching)!
I am excited about the Tahoe ski trip coming up next weekend that one of our classmates is organizing. We will be going snowshoeing, skiing/snowboarding, and shopping in Reno.

No comments: