Thursday, March 22, 2007

Spring Fling


We were all just itching to be finished with finals yesterday after a week of 4-5hrs of sleep a night and apologizing for dissappearing from our internships to fit in late night cramming sessions. I went with a group of my classmates to catchup while indulging in Irving's very own pepper steak submarine sandwiches, fries, and then finishing it off with Holy Gelato spumoni italian ice cream. We were able to finally catch some sun that I have missed ever since leaving La Jolla while attending UCSD.


I am looking forward to enjoying Spring and summer in San Francisco, which has weather comparable to the soft rays and cool breeze in France. I am only referencing the climate in Paris or particular south of Paris near Versailles, since I just saw that Marie Antoinette movie directed by Sofia Coppola. Besides appreciating the painstakingly crafted costume design (a well deserved Oscar won this year), I also became nostalgic about how gorgeous it was the last time I went to Europe.


Our class has been flooding facebook with wall posts and ongoing conversations and groups in order to still stay connected on top of all the other responsibilities. We even set up a group for the 2011 incoming class to try to welcome the new students.


I've been really busy organizing the Tabula Art Show that is coming up on April 11th. I guess my motivation just comes from a disatisfaction with the fact that there is so much good work produced by UCSF students but no venue for them to put it on display or where the sunset community can come and view them. Apparently, there has always been an annual Faculty and Staff Art show but have never had the capacity to display student art work. So when our editor suggested that we may be able to organize it ourselves, I kind of took the reins and got funding from the office of student life to set it up. There is this Performing Arts Fund for UCSF student events that is essentially an untapped resource since most of the events held here are related more to health promotion.


I am actually really excited about this because I can really make this a classy event with prizes, refreshments, and a mixer for faculty and students. If I can put a little more effort into it, then I can even create a fundraiser by selling art prints and donating proceeds to a charity. I even thought of having students do poetry readings as part of a contest with gift certificate prizes of course. I am having trouble getting enough poets and artists though :( but there are plenty of photographers happy to share their work. They are all so enthusiastic with their own unique vision that I think we can really pull something off. And it would be a good way for the new editor of Tabula for 2007 to recruit new submissions. I could go on and on...


Life is good now and I guess I am just enjoying the simple things before I really have to grow up...

No comments: