Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Back to basics


The past week and a half seemed to have flown by without me realizing that I was on spring break. I spent 6 out of the past 7 days working at walgreens. When my manager asked me to pull the night shift at a 24 hr store and get paid overtime, I really had to refuse. In between lunch breaks, I would race over to the art store and prepare all the the events that I am throwing this april.
I also got all these supplies for the art show coming up on the 11th. Not only did I pre-order 50 matboards to be shipped to my apartment from their warehouse in illinois, but I bought 5 canvases for myself discounted for bulk orders. I am rather enthusiastic about starting this new painting of venice, but at the same time, I do not have enough time to devote to a new painting since I am tied up with this art show. I really should be settling down and devoting more attention to my classes instead of delving so deeply into my extracurriculars. I don't think I will ever learn. I am definitely going to have to go on a trader joes run to load up on traditional gallery style refreshments.

I got these translucent invitation paper and printed invites for the patient counseling competition banquet on the 12th. I still have not confirmed the final guest count and menu with the restaurant that I am organizing the banquet at. It seems like people just RSVP at the last minute.


This seems like a common trend to deal with people who procrastinate whenever you take on these leadership roles. Another good example is waiting on some of the contestants in the Tabula art show for their artist statements. It seems to be a good skill to know how to handle situations like this.


This makes me think of my UCSF pharmacy school interview when a professor asked me what would I do (since she knew I edited for a paper in college) if writers would not submit their articles to me on time. I think my response was that I would find out about their situations and develop a plan with them to get the job done. In other words, you have to be accomodating to other people's circumstances because they change all the time. And if you don't learn this skill sooner or later, then you will not be able to work in teams. With the greater sophistication of products and services offered by American companies, having the patience and communication skills to collaborate seems almost essential.




No comments: